Friday, January 13, 2012

...a painted bench for "free for all Friday"!!

Hey there! We're having our first snow day of the winter here in upstate NY - and honestly, it's just plain weird that we haven't had any snow 'til now!! We've probably got about 8" so far today.
This week, I painted a wooden bench that I've owned for well over twenty years. I bought it back when we lived in a little house that had knotty pine on 3/4's of the walls. It was a charming, cozy house, really. :) It was in a corner in the basement, not being used. I'm glad the hubs didn't chop it up for kindling!
Fast foward to some brown Glidden paint, some Annie Sloan country gray chalk paint and some Annie Sloan clear wax. I didn't have a definite plan for this piece when I started...just sort of let it speak to me. :) I thought I'd stencil the top and front...but I didn't like it. Not at all.This was my first time working with Annie Sloan paint and I loved it!! The top of this bench was uneven and pretty banged up. The AS helped to give me a smooth surface on which to stencil. As for the wax...well, maybe this wasn't the perfect piece to use it on. I like the finish well enough, but I'm not wowed by it. I think the wax would be much nicer used on an ornate furniture piece - and I've even got something in mind for a future project.
This little stenciled bench (stencil by Stencil ease, purchased at Hob Lob) is by no means a show piece, but it's at least usable now....and I can say I like it next to my chair in the livingroom. :)
Linking up to Sassy Sites Free for All Friday. I really like Marni's site...there's always something new and different going on. :)
Thanks for stopping by and stay warm! hugs, patti

10 comments:

Mara Campbell said...

I love the pattern of the stencil!!! Great job restoring that bench!

LisaM said...

Love what you are doing with the home decorating lately, Patti! This bench s beautiful?

Valerie said...

Love this Patti!! What a transformation! You did a great job :)

wendipooh13 said...

that is stunning!!!! LOVE the stencil!!!

mustangkayla said...

I LOVE the stenciling! So pretty!

curlyqmosaics said...

What a huge transformation! Love the pattern! Beautiful!

~jan said...

Wonderful job-you have such vision, my friend!

Jodi said...

Wow!!! I think it turned out adorable!!!! I may have to "borrow" this idea!! :-)

Colleen Dietrich said...

Wow, another project for little money, but looking like it cost so much more! This is a neat shade of paint, and I love the fresh, modern pattern on top. I agree, liking the solid base instead of more pattern.

Thanks for dropping by my blog today! Good to see you. :)

Brandi said...

Wow, you did a great job on your bench! Love the stencil and that shade of green!